Contacting the School
What are the main contact details of the school?
- Samantha Stevens
Office Manager / PA to the Headteacher
Forest Gate Community School
- Tel: 020 8534 8666
- Fax: 020 8519 8702
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.forestgatecst.org
How do I contact a teacher?
- By email, using the full name of the teacher followed by the school email address:
- Write a note for your child to give to the teacher
- Write a note in your child’s planner to show the teacher
- By phone, leaving a message with the main office
Absence and Punctuality
What do I do if my child is absent from school due to illness or accident?
- Phone the school and select option 1 to leave your child’s full name, tutor group and reason for absence.
- Absences of 3 or more days must be accompanied by a note from a medical professional.
What is an ‘absence text’?
- This is sent to you if your child is absent and you have not contacted the school. Please reply promptly to establish your child’s whereabouts.
What do I do if my child has an appointment during school time?
- Your child must bring their appointment card / letter to the school office, prior to the appointment. If the appointment is after 10.30 your child should attend school first. Parents must collect their child and return them to school. No child should go home alone.
After school Activities and Detention
How can I check if my child is staying behind for an after school club or detention?
- Your child should inform you if they will be remaining in school after the end of the normal school day
- Students can be detained for up to an hour after school at the discretion of the teacher without prior notice
- Ring the school to check on the day and if at all possible we will confirm this
How much does the school lunch cost?
- The main meal deal costs £1.90
- Meals options are between £1.30 and £1.60
How does my child get a free lunch?
What is the correct school uniform?
- You can find our school uniform policy in the Parents section of our website and in your child’s planner
Where can I buy school uniform and PE kit?
- You can find our school uniform supplier in the Parents section of our website and in your child’s planner
How can you help with the cost of the uniform?
- We want all of our students to wear the correct uniform. Your enquiry will be dealt with sensitively and on a need to know basis
- If your child is an existing student please contact their Head of Learning
- If your child is about to join the school please discuss this at your admissions interview
How do you help my child if they are being bullied?
- At Forest Gate, we are committed to providing a caring, friendly and respectful environment in which all of our students feel safe. We do not accept bullying of any kind in school or around the school. A range of sanctions will be applied to those who bully.
- If bullying does occur, we expect all students who are victims or witnesses to report it immediately to a member of staff or use firstname.lastname@example.org. We will stop the bullying at the earliest opportunity and carry out an investigation. Victims of bullying will be supported by their year team and offered counselling, peer mentoring and activities to help them feel safe again. Where appropriate, bullies will apologise to their victim and bullies and their victims will be reconciled. Parents of the victim and bully will be informed of the incident and our response.
Where can my child collect lost property?
- Lost property is kept in the main office and your child should go there and ask.
- Please label all items with your child’s name and it will be returned to them.
How do I get my child into your school?
- The London Borough of Newham is the Admissions Body for Forest Gate Community School.
- For children moving from primary to secondary school see the information booklet from the London Borough of Newham in the Parents section of our website.
- For children of secondary school age moving during the school year (known as in year, mid phase or mid-term admissions) contact Newham Pupil services on 020 8430 2000 to request an application form.
How do I find out what is on and when?
- See our school calendar in the School section of our website.
- Upcoming events are also included in our parents’ newsletters.
When are parents’ evenings?
- Year 7 Parents' Information Evening: Tuesday 16 October, 4:00-6:00pm
- Year 11 Parents’ Evening: Tuesday 22 January, 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 10 Parents’ Evening: Tuesday 5 February, 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 8 Parents' and Pathways Evening: Tuesday 26 February, 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 11 Parents' Forum: Tuesday 12 March, 4:30-6:00pm
- Year 9 Parents' Evening: Tuesday 26 March, 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 7 Parents’ Evening: Tuesday 7 May, 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 10 Parents' Information Evening - Preparing for Year 11: Tuesday 18 June, 5:00-6:00pm
- Year 6 Parents' Transition Evening: Wednesday 26 June, 4:30-7:00pm
When are the school holidays?
- Half term: Monday 22 October to Friday 26 October 2018
- Christmas break: Monday 17 December 2018 to Friday 4 January 2019
- Half term: Monday 18 February to Friday 22 February 2019
- Spring break: Monday 8 April to Monday 22 April 2019
- May Day: Monday 6 May 2019
- Half term: Monday 27 May to Friday 31 May 2019
- Eid-Ul-Fitr: Wednesday 5 June 2019*
- Summer break starts: Monday 22 July 2019
*Please note the school will be closed for one day only for Eid. The exact date will be confirmed once known.
What do I do if I want my child to take a holiday during school term time?
- Requests for holidays in term time will not be authorised by the Headteacher. Government legislation makes it clear that “Headteachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.” A family holiday does not qualify as exceptional circumstances.