Media Studies

Key Stage 3 (Years 7-8)

Media Studies is not taught exclusively as a subject at Key Stage 3. It is however incorporated within the English National Curriculum.

Key Stage 4 (Years 9-11)

Media Studies GCSE is taught through the AQA specification. The units studied cover four key concepts in Media: media terminology, audience, representation and institutions. 3 pieces of controlled assessment are completed and are weighted at 60% of the overall grade. These include an introductory analysis of media texts, a cross media promotion study and a media production. The remaining 40% comes from a single examination completed at the end of the course.

Extra-Curricular Activities

Past trips include visits to the NewVic college Media department, BBC White City, BFI Southbank and the Harry Potter Studios. Students are also participating in the BBC School Report, and working with professional filmmakers on a short film project, funded by the Big Lotto Film. 


Exam revision is held every Friday from 2:50 – 4:30pm. There is a Year 11 drop-in session every Thursday from 4:30 - 5:30pm.

Important Dates

GCSE Exam – 24th May 2016

Web Links